Saturday 4 May 2019

A secret garden

I haven't been in the best of health lately but an upside to this is that I've been able to finish some crochet projects - namely some blankets :)

The first one was a present for my youngest girl and I made it with the thought in mind that it had to be bordered in that particular blue, which she loves.
I wanted it to be a lap blanket or one that goes on top of her bed for decorative effect.


I chose five colours for the flower:
Bottle Green
Aqua
Mintox
Taupe
Wheat

All except wheat are from the Porta Craft acrylic 8 ply yarn range and the wheat is an 8 ply acrylic yarn from Textile Traders (their bricks and mortar stores no longer exist)

I chose two colours for the squared-off border:
Fawn
Hot Blue

Both these colours are Porta Craft 8 ply acrylic

The flower part pattern of this one above is called "Secret Garden" flower and is from this blog: https://www.dadasplace.com/2015/10/secret-garden-shawl-free-crochet-tutorial.html

I squared it off myself (the first time I've attempted to do so and I was very pleased with the outcome) and then joined each square, using the join-as-you-go method, with the Hot Blue colour.

If anyone would like the square-off pattern please let me know and I will type it up and link it here :)

The border was done in four rows of moss stitch (a.k.a. linen stitch) and then finished off with a row of dc (sc in the U.S.)
Border colours:
Taupe
Aqua
Wheat
Hot Blue (also colour for final dc row).



Here it is displayed on my fancy couch. Only seven colours but I was really pleased with how varied the flowers looked.

More blanket posts to follow!

11 comments:

  1. The blue blanket is absolutely gorgeous - you are right, even with 7 colours it looks so colourful and interesting! Gorgeous work, as always! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ainslie :)
      I was really pleased with how different each square looked, considering the colour range. I'm currently working on squaring off another flower (from a Dutch blog - so I've had to translate it on top of the usual process involved in squaring off circles; fun, fun, fun!) and, if it works out, may use the pattern in another blanket sometime down the road.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. P.S. I hope all is going well up north. Love and hugs to all the family xox

      Delete
  3. Another stunning creation. I am sure she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luv the colours! I’ve been in hols in Spain, will send you on some pics! Hope you’re feeling better x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tricia, yes, I am feeling better.
      Looking forward to the holiday snaps :)

      Delete
  5. oh...this is lovely Rose. Lacy, lovely work.

    ReplyDelete