Sunday 20 January 2019

Temperature Blanket

Last year, when I had not long picked up a crochet hook again (after many, many years away from it) I came across the idea of crocheting a Temperature Blanket, a blanket that recorded the daily maximum temperature of your area for a whole year.
Intrigued by the idea, yet daunted at the same time (never having tackled anything so large before), I decided to give it a go.

What a journey! 


I searched online for some suggestions, came up with my own temperature chart (which I amended several times), included rain days, stormy days and family birthdays, and started it in January 2018.



A year of crocheting a blanket, bit by bit, until, at last, I had a record of a year's worth of temperatures, all in one large, colourful palette.




Once the blanket was finished I turned to the border. I decided to do several rows of moss stitch (a.k.a. linen stitch) using some of the temperature chart colours. What a difference it made - I heartily recommend doing blanket borders :)




Now it sits on the bed, along with Fresnel and Emily (both given to me by wonderful friends).
Frezzy and Em have given it their seal of approval!




Finally, the finishing touch - my version of a "label" (usually adorned with a lighthouse sticker but this time I decided the button needed no further adornment).




I love how chunky and warm it looks when it is folded up (even though we are sweltering through some hot, Summer weather right now. Come the cooler months this is going to come into its own.)
I love the colours, I love the softness, I love the button - I love everything about it!

When I started this Temperature Blanket journey I felt a bit daunted but I am so glad I attempted something outside of my comfort zone. I can't remember where I first came across the idea but, hats off  and danke, merci, and thank you to the clever, unknown lady.













No comments:

Post a Comment