Monday 4 February 2019

A "Green" day

No.1 son's birthday is not far away so I have decided to make him a blanket - my thought was shades of green but I checked with him first, just in case he preferred another colour. Turns out, green is his preference, too :)

So, I headed off to a yarn store this morning and bought four balls of Caron Tea Cakes in Green Tea, a rich, deep, variegated colour scheme, perfect for our young man, methinks.

This yarn is thick and soft and lovely with which to work (yes, started it already!) and I am very much looking forward to seeing the colour change as it progresses.

Big, soft, squishy balls of yarn - love 'em :)




Wonderful (and different) colour variations throughout each yarn ball.




The first few rows already done!




A close-up look at the pattern - the waffle stitch (courtesy of a Bella Coco youtube tutorial; she is a great teacher) The yarn calls for a 10mm hook and I'm using the Boye brand, one of my favourites.




As well as starting a green blanket I've also been stewing the first batch of home-grown rhubarb that I've ever harvested from my garden!
I planted the plants two years ago and, according to the gardening experts, it takes two years before they grow well enough to be harvested. I can vouch for that as last year there was not much growth, stalk-wise, but mostly foliage. 

My first crop of rhubarb




Bubbling away nicely :)

It's cooling at present but I'm already planning stewed rhubarb and custard for a special dessert treat this evening. 
Memories of childhood comfort food...





No comments:

Post a Comment